(Module 1) Evolution of corporate role/strategic planning,
1. Moving From Purchasing and Supply Management to Supply Chain Management
- Describe some of the more pressing issues/initiatives facing modern Internaational business.
- Explain how world class organizations are “leveling up”.
- Explain “strategic management”, “strategic sourcing”, and the relationship of “strategic sourcing to supply chain management”.
- Explain the skill set required for strategic sourcing.
- Explain what is meant by a “supply chain orientation”.
- escribe “the New Supply Paradigm”.
- Explain the modern definition of “Supply Chain Management”.
- Explain how supply chain managers and organizations can become “Supply Chain Masters”.
- Describe strategic thinking as it pertains to supply chain management.
2. International Purchasing and Supply Chain Management Trends
- Explain how future trends in international purchasing and supply chain management will affect organizations.
- Explain how future strategies can be designed to accommodate those trends.
3. Key Supply strategies for Tomorrow: Perspectives on the Future of Purchasing and Supply
- Explain development of “category strategies”.
- Describe how to develop and management suppliers.
- Explain leveraging of technology enablers.
- Explain effective and efficient internal and external collaboration.
- Describe how to attract and retain supply management talent.
- Explain management and enabling of the future supply chain management organization.
4. Supply Chain Technology Trends:
- List several of the more exciting state-of-the-art “technology enablers” applied in International Supply Chain Management
- Explain how these technologies can be applied.
5. Building the Strategic International Supply Chain Management Organization
Explain the following:
- How to create an organizational vision.
- How to create an environment for success.
- How to staff the environment.
- How to automate and simplify high volume transactions.
- How to focus on supplier and customer relationships.
6. Summative case providing lessons on strategic supply chain management and planning.
(Module 2) Strategic Sourcing,
1. Strategic Sourcing: Critical Elements & Keys to Success
- “Strategic Sourcing” as compared with tactical or transactional sourcing.
- The importance of Strategic Sourcing.
- The skill sets needed for Strategic Sourcing and how to obtain those requisite skill sets.
- The transition process from tactical to strategic sourcing: building a step-by-step methodology/plan
- Where e-Procurement fits with Strategic Sourcing.
- 2. Total Quality Supply Base Management
- The relaionship between Strategic Sourcing & Strategic Supply Management (SSM)
- How to categorize purchases in Strategic Sourcing
- How to employ and develop Early Supplier Involvement (ESI)
- The processes of Supplier Relationship Building and alliance partnering
- How to categorize, certify, and manage suppliers
3. Total Quality Supplier Assurance
- The importance and role of the Organizational Mission & Functions Statement
- Three Questions to be answered in Strategic Supply Planning
- The role of Supplier Site Visits, Qualification, & Survey Results
- How to conduct Total Quality Assurance & the role of Material Review Boards
- The relationship between purchased Item Quality & Supplier Quality Assurance
- The use of Statistical Process Control (SPC) & Total Supplier Quality in assuring quality
- 4. Supplier Qualification and Selection
- The Supplier Marketplace Model & Environmental Factors affecting it
- Why you need to know Your Marketplace & Your Supplier
- What Your Suppliers Need to Know about you— The role of the Welcome Booklet
- How to perform Supplier Qualification & Due Diligence Studies
- How to understand the Supply Base
- The Solicitation, Purchase Commitment, & Supplier Selection processes
4. Part II Solicitations, Bids, Proposals, & Source Selection: Building a Winning Contract
- The Sourcing Life-Cycle
- Pre-Bid/Proposal Phase: Procurement Planning, Solicitation Planning & Preparation
- Pre-Bid/Proposal Phase: Pre-Sales Activities & Bid/No Bid Decision
- Bid/Proposal Phase: Bid/Proposal Development & Reviews/Approvals
- Bid/Proposal Phase: Source Selection Planning & Evaluation
- Post-Bid/Proposal Phase: Contract Negotiation & Formation
- Planning, Solicitations, & Source Selection – Best Practices
5. Supplier Performance Evaluation—The Report Card
- The various methods for evaluating the Supplier’s Performance
- Supplier Rating System Factors
- Criteria/Standards for an Effective System
- Supplier Rating System Reports & Forms
- Rating Guidelines & Policy Standards
6. Measuring the Process—Internally & Externally
- Nine Key Areas of Purchasing Objectives
- Metrics—How Well Are You Developing Your Supplier Base?
- Supply Base Management Costs
- Metrics—How Well Are You Managing Your Supplier Base?
- Value-Added Cost Savings
- Cost Avoidance Accrual Methodology
7. Lessons Learned: Ten Ideas for Effective Strategic Sourcing
- List and describe ten ideas/suggestions on how to conduct effective and efficient strategic sourcing.
- Explain the favorable impact on the organization from use of these techniques.
4. Summative case providing lessons on strategic sourcing.
(Module 3) Supplier Relationship Management
1. Supplier Relationship Management (SRM) and Collaborative Value Creation
- List and explain the various components of an effective supplier relationship management program.
- Explain how organizations are moving from cost reduction to value creation.
- Explain the relationship between SRM and Strategic Sourcing.
2. Supplier Relations Development: Providing the Groundwork for Supplier Certification
- Explain the relationship between SRM and CRM.
- Explain how supplier certification depends on SRM and supplier relations development.
3. Constructing the Optimal Supplier Relationship Program
Explain the following six steps in the process of constructing the optimal Supplier Relationship Program:
- Articulate the desired relationship.
- Establish a preliminary relationship plan.
- Explore the potential joint commitment between the supplier and the buyer, then review.
- Design a joint relationship management team.
- Develop the process for doing joint work, execute objectives and measures, and review again.
- Reassess the relationship against objectives and measures.
4. High Performance Supplier Relationship Strategies
- Explain the strategies, practices and behaviors firms have used to establish rationalized supply bases and improve supplier working relationships.
- Explain how firms have forged deep supplier relationships in rationalized supply bases.
- List several of the benefits of deep supplier relationships.
- 5. Reducing the Supplier Base and Managing Supplier Relationships
- Explain the Impact of Supplier Relationship Management (SRM) on supply chain systems and organizations.
- Describe a system of SRM Classification & Consolidation.
- Explain how to host a Supplier’s Day & Supplier Linking.
- Explain the purpose and role of a Supplier Advisory Council (SAC).
- Explain the difference between/among Sole Sources, Limited Competition, & Insufficient Supply.
- Explain the Outsourcing process and use of Third Party Service Providers.
- Explain how to use appropriate B2B Internet Technologies.
- Explain when and how to change supply partners.
6. Summative case providing lessons on supplier relationship management.
(Module 4) Advanced Cost Management Techniques.
1. Advanced Cost Management Techniques: Introduction
- l Define Cost Management.
- l Define Value Management.
- l List the 7 components of Cost and Value Management.
- l Explain the formulae for the 7 components of Cost and Value Management.
- l Explain when the 7 components are employed during a product’s life cycle.
- l Name some principles of Cost and Value Management.
- l List some computer applications aiding in Cost and Value Management.
2. Cost Reduction Strategies
- Explain various cost reduction strategies and ideas.
- Explain how to employ effective and efficient price and cost analysis.
- Explain how “Total Cost of Ownership” and “Total Systems Cost” can be used to reduce cost for the organization.
- Describe the use of “Should Cost” Models and Techniques.
- Describe various innovative solicitation models and their use.
- Explain Target Cost Analysis and Target Pricing.
- Explain how to obtain low cost in offshore sourcing.
3. Value Engineering and Value Analysis
- Define Value (Cost) Engineering
- Define Value (Cost) Analysis
- Understand the benefits of using Value Engineering and Value Analysis for the Buyer
- Understand the benefits of using Value Analysis for the Supplier
- Understand where and when Value Engineering and Value Analysis can be applied
- Understand VE misconceptions
- Describe some VE successes
4. Summative case providing lessons on advanced cost management techniques..